TORONTO – Hosting private social gatherings in the York area are now required to keep a follow-up list of their guests ahead of the long weekend as part of two new public health measures.
In a press release released Friday afternoon, officials said the region’s health officer Dr. Karim Kurji, have made two changes to COVID-19 measures to help contain the spread of COVID-19 amid a fourth wave of the pandemic.
Most notable is the introduction of a new policy requiring anyone hosting a social gathering in a private home or commercial facility to keep a list of names and contact information for all attendees. The hosts must also be able to provide the list to public health officials within 24 hours of making a request.
Failure to do this can face fines of up to $ 5,000 for each day of the offense.
The new measures come after public health officials struggled to get contact information for participants in a basketball tournament held in Markham last week.
As of August 27, seven COVID-19 cases have been linked to the tournament, leading to a declaration of an outbreak.
A public notice was issued by York Region Public Health due to a “delay in receiving contact lists from the organizer”.
“We have had trouble getting the details of people who have attended various types of gatherings, even in private homes, and it is important that we get this information in a timely manner,” Kurji told CP24 Friday afternoon.
Kurji also changed a self-isolation rule that requires all close contacts with anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 to be isolated for 10 days.
Anyone with signs and symptoms of COVID-19 must also isolate themselves for 10 days unless they get a negative test result.
The new and amended § 22 ordinances come into force at midnight.