Whitby, Ontario – The Durham Region will host the 2023 Ontario Parasport Games, building on the success and legacy of hosting these Games in 2019 and the continued growth of our inclusive, accessible and adaptive sports capabilities.
The 2023 Durham Region Ontario Parasport Games will attract approximately 550 participants and result in an expected local economic impact of between $500,000 and $1 million. There will be 11 sports competitions across eight venues, along with an opening ceremony and two dinners for participants.
Sport Durham, the Durham Region’s sports tourism programme, will work closely with the Department for Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Cultural Industries and community volunteers who will form the Games Organizing Committee. This team will deliver another successful and memorable event for visiting participants as well as community partners and volunteers.
The Durham region hosted the Ontario Parasport Games in 2019 which generated approximately $678,000 in local economic impact. and a $112,000 legacy fund to be used to improve adaptive sports opportunities and Durham attendance. The 2019 games were recognized with several national and regional awards.
The region has previously hosted four other Ontario Games, including the Ontario Summer Games in 2000; the Ontario 55+ Summer Games in 2010; and the Ontario Parasport Games in 1979.
A premier sports tourism destination, the Durham Region is home to some of the Greater Toronto Area’s (GTA) best and busiest sports complexes and venues. A sports-loving, active community, the region has an impressive record of sporting events, from major international events to numerous community-based sporting tournaments.
“I am delighted that the Durham Region will have another opportunity to host the Ontario Parasport Games in 2023. Durham is one of Ontario’s premier destinations for accessible sports, and our government is proud to allocate $135,000 to support the Games, which will boost the local economy, attract visitors from across the province, engage volunteers, develop Do sport and recreation locally and leave a lasting legacy in the community.”
– The Honorable Lisa MacLeod, Secretary of State for Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Cultural Industries
“Durham Region is honored to host the Ontario Parasport Games for the second time. It reflects our commitment to accessibility and inclusion – a community working together to find valuable solutions that make a positive impact. Building together on the best place to call home.”
– John Henry, Regional Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Durham Region
“The local economic impact of hosting the 2023 Parasports Games in the Durham area will increase opportunities and participation in adaptive sports at a local level. This opportunity will make Pickering-Uxbridge and the Durham region a hub for inclusive, accessible and adaptive sport.”
– The Honorable Peter Bethlenfalvy, Treasury Secretary and MPP for Pickering-Uxbridge
“It is wonderful to once again host the Ontario Parasport Games in the Durham area. With its unique facilities and enthusiastic volunteers, the Durham area is the perfect location for this event.”
– The Honorable David Piccini, Minister for Environment, Conservation and Parks and MPP for Northumberland-Peterborough South
“Our government’s investment in sport is driven by a commitment to support local communities and help them thrive and prosper through events like the Ontario Parasport Games. Multisport events of this nature unite the Durham communities through healthy, active living and offer new opportunities for our coaches, volunteers, officials and athletes. The Durham region is home to a diverse range of athletes from a variety of backgrounds and abilities and I look forward to supporting them.”
– Lorne Coe, MPP for Whitby and Chief Government Whip
“I know our community will take advantage of this exciting opportunity to build on our experience hosting the 2019 Ontario Parasport Games and extend our legacy initiatives to increase the number of opportunities and participants enjoying the benefits of adaptive sports .”
– Don Terry, Co-Chairman, 2023 Durham Region Ontario Parasport Games
“The Durham Region has a history of accessibility and inclusion with high performing venues and experienced, capable volunteers, making it a fantastic community to successfully host these Games.”
– Mike Frogley, Co-Chairman, 2023 Durham Region Ontario Parasport Games
- Durham Region is – simply – more. Located to the east of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), Durham is a dynamic region. Durham offers an unparalleled competitive advantage and is a community where talented, smart and ambitious people – known for their innovation, creativity, skills and education – gain access to world markets, insights, inventions and traditions. A place where an innovative ecosystem helps drive new ideas. Where ingenuity and industry help solve global challenges. Visit durham.ca to learn more about one of Canada’s fastest growing communities.
– 30 –
For media inquiries, please contact [email protected]