That La Jolla light presents this ongoing series of online activities you can do on your computer or tablet, as well as local in-person events.
Lectures & Learning
• The La Jolla Community Center showcases “San Diego’s Post-Pandemic Recovery” at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 19, 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Philip Molnar, a San Diego Union Tribune A reporter covering San Diego residential real estate and the economy will talk about the local housing market, economy and interest rates. Free. ljcommunitycenter.org
• The UC San Diego International Institute presents “Humility as the key to peace, prosperity and progress” at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 20, on Zoom. Professor Fayyaz Baqir’s presentation, part of the Vivian G. Prins Scholar at Risk Speaker Series, will reflect on the work of the Aga Khan Rural Support Program in Pakistan. Free. bit.ly/BaqirApril
• Presentations by Scripps Research “Take a new look at vital signs” at 1 p.m. Wednesday April 20 online. During the Front Row series presentation, Dr. Jay Pandit discuss some of the promises and challenges of longitudinal vital sign data collection and provide an update on the goal of continuous cuffless blood pressure monitoring. Free. frontrow.scripps.edu
• UC San Diego’s Design Lab and California 100 in attendance “Climate Risk Mitigation & Technology” at 4 p.m. Wednesday, April 20, online and at the UCSD Design & Innovation Building, Room 202, Matthews Lane and Voight Drive, La Jolla. The presentation, part of the Designing California’s Future series, will feature a panel of industry leaders. Free. bit.ly/UCSDApr20
• That Pen to Paper Writing Course held Thursdays at 1:00 p.m. at the La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. The weekly course is open to writers of all experience levels, ages 18+. Free. (858) 552-1657
families & children
• The La Jolla/Riford Library presents a 3D design workshop at 5:30 p.m. Monday, April 18, 7555 Draper Ave. Participants ages 7-17 can learn how to design and print their own rabbit foot keychain. Free. Register at www.lajollalibrary.org.
• The La Jolla/Riford Library showcases “So you want to be an astronaut?” at 4:00 p.m. Thursday, April 21, 7555 Draper Ave. Former NASA astronaut James Hansen Newman, a graduate of La Jolla High School, will read a story, discuss his four space shuttle missions, and answer questions. Free. www.lajollalibrary.org
• Buddhi Yoga presents “Zen Soul Balance Sound Bath with Jeny Dawson” at 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 15, 7843 Girard Ave., La Jolla. $55. buddhiyogalj.com
Art and culture
• Presenting the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library “On Broadway! A Fresh New Look at the Broadway Musical” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 14, 1008 Wall St., La Jolla. The lecture series, led by Jacquelyne Silver, will continue on April 21 and 28 at 7:30 p.m. $18 per lecture for Athenaeum members; $23 for non-members. ljathenaeum.org/music-lectures
• The La Jolla Community Center features 20 La Jolla High School students performing songs from their production of “West Side Story” Friday, April 15, noon, 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Light refreshments will be served. Registration is required. ljcommunitycenter.org
• The UC San Diego Visual Arts Department will host a guest lecture Dash Labs at 1 p.m. Friday, April 15, online. Free. bit.ly/UCSDHyphen
• RB Stevenson Gallery presents an opening reception for the exhibition “Balancing act” at 5 p.m. Saturday, April 16, 7661 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The exhibition of new paintings and drawings by Arizona artist Robert Cocke runs through Tuesday, May 17. For free. www.rbstevensongallery.com
• Gifts from the Beaumont Restaurant Woody and the Harrelsonsin concert at 9 p.m. Saturday, April 16, 5662 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla. Free. (858) 459-0474
• La Jolla artist Edna Pines is exhibiting her paintings of seascapes, birds, flowers and others inspired by nature“The Many Shades of Us” through Sunday, April 17 at BFree Studio, 7857 Girard Ave., La Jolla. Free. bfreestudio.net
• La Jolla Playhouse gifts “Bhangin’ It: A Badass New Musical ” through Sunday, April 17 at the Mandell Weiss Theater, 2910 La Jolla Village Drive. $25 and up. lajollaplayhouse.org
• The San Diego Repertory Theater concludes the second annual Black Voices Reading Series “playback” by R. Eric Thomas, Monday, April 18 5:30 p.m. online and at a watch party at the Lyceum Theater, 79 Horton Plaza, San Diego. Pay what you can. sdrep.org/blackvoices
• Warwick’s Bookstore showcases Author Susan Meissner at 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 18, 7812 Girard Ave., La Jolla. Meissner talks about the new paperback edition of her book The Nature of Fragile Things. Free. Reserved seats and a book copy are available for $17. warwicks.com/event/meissner-2022
• Adventures by the Book presents “Book Bingo (make new friends but keep old ones)” at 4 p.m. Thursday, April 21, online. The event will be attended by authors Susan Meissner, Marie Bostwick, Janie Chang, Kristina McMorris, Lian Dolan and Robin Oliviera. Free. bit.ly/ABBApril21
• The La Jolla Music Society presents a Ukrainian folk “ethno-chaos” group DakhaBrakha Friday, April 22, 8 p.m., 7600 Fay Ave. Guests have the opportunity to donate to relief efforts in Ukraine or directly support the band whose members have families in Ukraine. $62. ljms.org/events
• Gifts from Namus Classics “시음 /si-úm/” with classical pianist Jeeyoon Kim on Sunday, April 24 at 3 p.m. at the Baker-Baum Concert Hall, 7600 Fay Ave., La Jolla. The concert will feature Kim’s performance mixed with poetry and black and white photography. “/si-úm/” is a portmanteau meaning poetry and music in Korean. $48. ljms.org/events
• The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library is presenting three exhibitions through Saturday, April 30 at 1008 Wall St., La Jolla. “Mixing the Familiar/Now, Not Then” featuring two- and three-dimensional works by Northern California-based artists Lynn Criswell and Michael Bishop at Clayes Gallery; “The Light That Never Goes Out” divine imagery combined with contemporary secular pop imagery by Lenore Hughes is at Rotunda Gallery; and “liminality”, Artist Books by Niki de Saint Phalle, located in the Max & Melissa Elliott North Reading Room. Free. ljathenaeum.org/current-exhibitions
• Gifts from Quint Gallery “Bounteous: A Group Show” through Saturday, May 21, 7655 and 7722 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The exhibition features many of the artists Quint Gallery has exhibited over the years, with styles including Californian light and space, abstraction, photography, drawing and sculpture. Free.quintgallery.com
• Gallery Tasende presents the exhibition “Mark di Suvero” through Saturday, June 25, 820 Prospect St., La Jolla. The exhibition includes drawings and steel sculptures. Free. tasendegallery.com
Galas & Events
• The La Jolla Community Center presents a Half day trip to the Green Dragon Tavern & Museum and the Carlsbad Flower Fields departure at 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 20, from the Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd. $45 for community center members; $60 for non-members; including lunch. ljcommunitycenter.org
• The Lodge at Torrey Pines presents their Artisan Table Signature Wine Dinner Series beginning at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 21, at the AR Valentien Restaurant, 11480 N. Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla. The event will include a shared meal of Foxen Vineyard & Winery wines with winemakers Dick Doré and Jenny Williamson Doré. $225. Lodgetorreypines.com/events-calendar.
• Upgrade La Jolla gifts“Make La Jolla Day Brighter”Saturday, April 23, 9 a.m., 700 Prospect St. The event includes a family-friendly art project organized by staff at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, a giveaway for milkweed plants to promote the butterfly population in The Village, a staff member of the Urban Corps demonstration of green devices, music by Ron Jones and the La Jolla City Council, and an opportunity to speak with leaders of community organizations and San Diego City Councilman Joe LaCava, of which District 1 La Jolla is a part. Free. [email protected]
• The San Diego Jewish Family Ministry presents its yearbookHeart & Soul Galaat 6 p.m. Saturday, April 30 online and at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine, 3777 La Jolla Village Drive. The event will include a celebration of the 2022 Jewish Family Service mitzvah recipients, including Danielle and Brian Miller of La Jolla. Join the waiting list or register for the virtual gala at jfssd.org.
Do you have an event – online or in person – that you would like to see here? Email your leads to [email protected] ◆