UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State’s No. 8 women’s soccer program travels to the West Coast this week to play with No. 12 Stanford on Thursday, September 1 and with Santa Clara on Sunday, September 4.
The last time the Nittany Lions faced both Bay Area teams in the same season was 2015, the year Penn State won the national championship.
at No. 12 Stanford (3-0)
- Date: Thursday 1 Sept 2022 | Time: 10 p.m. ET
- Location: Stanford, California | Venue: Maloney Field at Cagan Stadium
- Live Stats | Watch: Pac-12 Bay Area
in Santa Clara (1-3)
- Date: Sunday, September 14th, 2022 | Time: 10:30 p.m. ET
- Location: Santa Clara, California | Venue: Stevens Stadium-Buck Shaw Field
- Live Stats | Watch: Stadium TV
BREAKDOWN IN PENN STATE
- PSU No. 10 won their first away game at Monmouth 3-1 and delivered the Hawks their first loss of the season on Sunday 28 August.
- Schlegel scored her 37thth career goal and reached her 91st birthdaySt career point.
- second grader Mike Schieman scored the game winner, her second career goal after notching her first career goal and assist against No. 21 West Virginia on August 25.
- Senior+ Penelope Hocking capped the game with her first goal as Nittany Lion
- The Blue and Whites overtook the Hawks 17 to 7 and had nine shots on goal for the Hawks.
- Schiemann’s career earned her a trio of weekly awards including Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, College Soccer News Women’s National Team of the Week and Top Drawer Soccer’s Team of the Week.
- The Cardinal is 3-0 with wins over Sacramento State (5-0), San Francisco (3-0) and UC Santa Barbara (5-1).
- Stanford leads the nation in shots on goal per game with 14.67. They are third in shots per game averaging 26.3.
- The team was named a Pac-12 favorite in the league’s preseason poll.
- Senior Maya Doms has been included in the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List.
- Three Cardinals lead by three goals each in freshman Lumi Kostmayer and juniors Samantha Williams and Amy Sayer.
- Junior goalie Ryan Campbell is holding a .800 percent save and conceded a goal.
- Paul Ratcliffe, who has coached Stanford since 1998, has led the Cardinal to all but one season as head coach of the NCAA tournament.
- The Cardinal went fourth overall in 2021 with 13-6-1, including 7-3-1 in the Pac-12. Stanford made his 30th overall appearance in an NCAA tournament, losing 1-0 to Santa Clara in the first round.
PENN STATE VS STANFORD
- Penn State is 1-5 against Stanford all-time, meeting for the first time in 2011.
- In 2015, the No. 7 Nittany Lions inflicted a 2-0 loss on No. 2 Stanford in Palo, Alto, California. The win was PSU’s first against Stanford and it was Stanford’s first home loss by two goals since November 23rd, 2007.
- In 2019, PSU hosted the Cardinal in their home opener, losing 2-1. Kate Wiesner scored her first career goal as a freshman in that game.
- In the Cardinal and Nittany Lions’ last duel of 2019, PSU fell 2-0 in the Sweet 16 as Stanford advanced and would win the national title.
EXPLAIN SANTA CLARA
- The Broncos are 1-3 after winning their season opener 1-0 at San Jose State, but have since gone down in three straight games against UC Davis (1-0), No. 7 Texas Christian (7-0) and No. 6 eliminated UCLA (1-0).
- Sophomore Izzy D’Aquila has scored the only goal for the Broncos and leads the team with 13 shots.
- The goalies were split between newcomers Kylie Foutch and Felicity Baker.
- Santa Clara finished fifth in the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll but has since fallen out of the rankings.
- Last season, the Broncos made it to the College Cup for the second straight year, but fell to Brigham Young on penalties.
- A total of eight players retired from college after last season, including All-Americans Kelsey Turnbow and Alex Loera.
- Head coach Jerry Smith is in his 36th yearth season at the top of the program. He led the team to the national championship title in 2020.
PENN STATE VS SANTA CLARA
- The Nittany Lions have been 2-2-1 against the Broncos since their first meeting in 1996.
- PSU won their last game against the Broncos 1-0 when Mallory Weber scored the winning goal in 2015, the year Penn State won the national championship.
- In 2005, PSU achieved their third College Cup in program history with a 2-1 win in the NCAA Quarterfinals against #2 seed Santa Clara.
- The Nittany Lions return home to host Liberty on Thursday, September 8 at 7 p.m. after a three-game road trip.
The Penn State Women’s Soccer season is presented by the Smeal College of Business.