THE OPENING TIP
- No. 2 Duke continues his vacation home booth and welcomes the Appalachian State to the Cameron Indoor Stadium on Thursday evening.
- The game tips at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2 with Dave O’Brien and Corey Alexander on the call. On the radio on site, David Shumate and John Roth call the action on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield.
- With wins over then no. 1 Gonzaga and No. 10 Kentucky, Duke are the only teams to join Gonzaga and Seton Hall this season with multiple wins against AP’s top 10 teams.
- Duke was one of the best ball-handling teams in the nation, ranking third in the assist / turnover ratio (+1.95), eighth nationally for least turnover (9.3), 13th in the NCAA Revenue margin (+5.8) ââand ninth in assists per game (2/18) – Duke joins Northwestern as the only team in the nation to rank in the top 15 in each category.
- Duke forces 14.9 sales, an average of 9.1 steals and has a margin of +107 points in the point open sales evaluation (176-69).
- The Blue Devils have made 34 more free throws this season than their opponents tried (125-91). Duke commits 13.4 fouls per game – the second fewest in the ACC and 17.
- Junior Wendell Moore Jr., is the only player in the nation with an average of 17.0+ points, 6.0+ rebounds, 5.0+ assists and .500+ shots from the field (17.0 / 6.0 / 5.0 / .567).
- Moore leads the ACC in terms of assists, is second in the assist / turnover ratio (+2.81), seventh in the rating, fifth in the FG percentage. and 21st in rebounds.
- student in the first year Paolo Banchero leads all Power Conference True Freshmen in the scoring with 17.1 points. Banchero, the ACC Preseason Player of the Year, ranks in the ACC’s top 11 for scoring (17.1, sixth), free throw percentage (0.841, fourth) and FG percentage (.495, 11th).
- Second year Mark Williams leads the ACC and ranks 12th in the NCAA with 3.11 blocked shots per game. Williams has fired multiple shots seven times this season and 17 times in 32 career games.
- Williams has blocked 20 shots in the last six games while averaging 12.7 points, 7.7 rebounds and 0.708 (34 of 48).
- student in the first year Trevor Kiel, who this season is the only Blue Devils with a three in every game this season, ranks fourth in the ACC in the assist / turnover ratio (+2.50) and fifth in the steals (2.0) .
DUKE APP STATE HISTORY
Duke leads the all-time series over Appalachian State, 8-1 … All nine meetings were held at the Cameron Indoor Stadium, with each of the last eight taking place in the Coach-K era … The teams last met on November 26th 2016, when Grayson Allen scored 21 points in an 83-58 Duke win at Durham.
ABOUT THE MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS
Appalachian State is 6-5 this season and lost 73:65 at Furman on Friday night. Senior Adrian Delph is the only climber averaging double-digit points of 16.5 per game, but three others – Senior Justin Forrest (9.4 inches). ), Graduate Michael Almonacy (9.4) and Junior Donovan Gregory (8.0) average 8.0+ per game … Eight of the 15 climbers are either juniors, seniors, or graduate students … Appalachian State scores only 59.4 points per game – 18th best National Defense score – and has not allowed any opponent to score more than 75 goals this season … The Mountaineers were 35 last season (64.1) … whistled for 13.4 fouls per game (17th . in the NCAA) and the Mountaineers only 12.9 (seventh-fewest) … Duke (9.3) and App State (9.7) are also eighth and tenth in the NCAA with the fewest sales per game This Seasonâ¦ Third-year-old c oach Dustin Kerns, App State, was 17-12 last season, won the Sun Belt Tournament title, and made the program’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001.
EVALUATION OF THE BALL
Duke was one of the best ball-handling teams in the nation, ranking third in the assist / turnover ratio (+1.95), eighth nationally for least turnover (9.3), 13th in the NCAA Revenue margin (+5.8) ââand ninth in assists per game (18.2) – Duke joins Northwestern as the only team in the nation to rank in the top 15 in each category … 1 in the opener against Kentucky (eighth) Assists, nine ball losses) … Duke has helped at least 44 percent of his field goals (eight assists on 25 field goals vs. Kentucky) in every game since the start – and was 64 percent or better five times this season … Duke forces 14.9 Sales, an average of 9.1 steals and has a margin of +107 points in the point offensive (176-69) … Via KenPom, Duke is fourth nationwide in the offensive sales percentage (12.8), is 37th in steal percent ( 7.3) and 54th in assist percent (57.7).
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 15-1 all-time when he plays on December 16, including a 4-0 mark at Cameron Indoor Stadium … The Blue Devils played on that date last season – a 75-65 win at Notre Dame in Duke’s ACC opening game.
MOORE DOES EVERYTHING
Junior Wendell Moore Jr., proves to be one of the most complete – and improved – players in the nation early on as the co-captain is the only player in the nation to average 17.0+ points, 6.0+ rebounds, 5.0+ assists and .500 + shoots off the field … The native Charlotte leads the ACC in assists (5.0), is second in the conference and 37th nationally in terms of assist / turnover ratio (+2.81), is seventh in the number of points (17.0) and fifth in the field goal percentage (.567)â¦ With his 19-10-10 vs. Army he has one of the nation’s six triple doubles this season. It was only the fifth triple-double in Duke history and the third Under Mike Krzyzewski â¦ Moore’s 10 assists in the Army game were a career highlightâ¦ The performance was also his third career double-doubleâ¦ Moore has scored 11 or more points in every game this seasonâ¦ The junior flirted with another triple-double against The Citadel and fell 22 points, eight rebounds, and nine assists … He was named the Gonzaga Game MVP with 20 points, six rebounds, six assists, and a career high of six steals.
PAOLO’S HOLIDAY STAT STUFFING
student in the first year Paolo Banchero leads Duke in scoring (17.1) and rebound (7.2) and is the Blue Devils’ leading free-throw shooter with .841 (37-of-44) … He almost had his first triple-double against The Citadel, with 28 points, eight rebounds and six assists … His 28 points and six assists were both career highs … The Seattle native has 20 assists and seven turnovers in Duke’s last six games after one assist and 10 turnovers in the first three … When he beat the SC State tied Banchero a career high of six assists with seven rebounds and 12 points in 22 minutes.
COMMENTS ON SC STATE GAME
Duke had eight different players hit at least one three-point field goal in the game to set a school record. The record had previously been set four times, the last time against St. Francis (Pa.) On December 5, 2017 … Duke was 15 of 27 (.556) out of the three-point range, the tenth-highest percentage in the school’s history at least 25 attempts. The record for the best three-point percentage in at least 25 tries was 16-out-of-26 (0.615) against Evansville on December 20, 2017 … freshman AJ Griffin reached a career high of 19 points off the bench, made his first seven shots, finishing 7-out-of-8 out of the field, 3-out of-4 out of three-point range. He also had a career high with four assists … the five sophomore steals Jeremy Roach were a career high.
CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM
Duke has an all-time record of 921-168 (.846) with Cameron Indoor, including 563-73 (.885) with Coach K … Duke is 258-62 (.806) in regular season ACC games with Cameron Indoor in the Coach K era … Duke has won more games at his current home venue than any other college basketball team … In his 83rd season as the home of the Blue Devils, Duke has averaged 11.1 wins since the venue opened on Jan. 6, 1940 scored – – a 36:27 win against Princeton … The Blue Devils have 18 home games unbeaten, including 11 under Coach K.